Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Statement pieces

Pearls. Whether it's a pearl necklace, earrings or bracelet, they should be an essential piece of your wardrobe (along with a great pencil skirt and black pumps). You can never go wrong with pearls. What a classy, southern finish to any outfit!

Recently I've seen pearls worn more as statement pieces. Over the past few months I've admired several of Stella & Dot's necklaces which incorporate a long strand of pearls and a brooch.


Charlotte Statement Necklace

I have been tempted on several occasions to purchase this necklace, but I stopped myself because 1.) I have a long strand of pearls and 2.) I have several different brooches. Why spend $100 on a necklace when I can make my own version with jewelry I already own?

So one afternoon I ventured home after work and put my thoughts to work and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Here is my long strand of pearls and 2 brooches.


I tripled the strand of pearls and attached the first brooch.


Here is the back side of the brooch. You can see where it evenly holds the strand of pearls together.


Here I doubled the pearls for a longer look and pinned on the second brooch.

As you can see from the the pictures you have several different options with this look. You can wear a shorter strand of pearls by tripling them around your neck or wear it longer by just doubling the strand. Depending on how many brooches you own, you can make it look like you own several different necklaces. The pin is actually helpful because it holds the pearls in place through the day so that the clasp doesn't constantly work it's way toward the bottom of the necklace.

Don't own a brooch? Not a problem! The first brooch I used above I purchased from H&M for $3.50. You can also find great vintage brooches at antique stores, flea markets, or better yet your Grandmother!

Looking for other ways to wear your brooch or a reason to buy one?
ifashion network

1. Lapel
Add a brooch to your blazer, jacket or sweater.



2. Hair jewelry or hats
Attach a bobby pin or hair clip to your brooch and clip it into your hair. You can also attach the brooch to a headband or hat for instant glam.



3. Cufflinks
Don't have clufflinks? Use two identical brooches instead. Missing a button? Use a brooch!

4. Sweater
If you want a different look or your sweater is a little big, use a brooch to pin it together.



5. Shoes
Pin two identical brooches to your flats. Use velcro tape or double sided sticky tape if you don't want to pin them through the fabric.

6. Dress
Pin a brooch on your dress. If the dress has a cinched waist, pin it to one of the sides. If the dress is v-neck try pinning the brooch at the bottom of the V. If you own a v-neck sweater this will work too.



Take away from this post? Buy a long strand of pearls and a brooch if you don't already own them. I promise you won't regret it.

Quote of the Day (QOTD):
" I never worry about diets.  The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond."
~Mae West

Photos courtesy of: Ladies' Home Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment